Oklahoma Wesleyan University’s (OKWU) School of Education is pleased to welcome two new professors, Keri Bostwick and Stacy Gerth, for the 2013-14 school year.  As some of Bartlesville’s finest teachers, they bring a variety of experiences and skills to the program including teacher of the year awards, curriculum development in Australia, and a strong commitment to their faith.

KeriBostwick
Keri Bostwick

Keri Bostwick became the director of the OKWU’s Masters of Education program this fall, the same program through which she earned her own B.A. in Secondary English Education and Master’s of Education.  Before her return to OKWU, Bostwick was employed for 15 years by Bartlesville Public Schools (BPS) where she was honored as Teacher of the Year in 2010.

Bostwick’s decision to leave BPS wasn’t easy, but she saw the chance to make an impact from a different side of education. “I am convinced that a collision with Truth changes lives.  I see lives changed daily in my classroom,” she said, and continued: “This excites me most:  to be faced with the opportunity to impact more lives than just the 80 or 90 I have been seeing…If God calls me out of what I have known for the last sixteen years to do that, what an honor for me to be chosen this way.”

But despite the accolades, honors, and prospect of doctorate study within the year, Bostwick still maintains a normal, healthy outlook with her husband, Michael, also a BPS teacher, and their three children.  She says her passions include “her faith, her family, her friends, her field of study, and football—specifically Denver Broncos football.”

Stacy Gerth
Stacy Gerth

Stacy Gerth also joined OKWU from Bartlesville Public Schools where she recently taught fifth grade at Wayside Elementary School.  Like Bostwick, Gerth began her teaching career after graduating from Bartlesville Wesleyan College.  She earned her Master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction from Oklahoma State University in 1996.  Gerth was named Teacher of the Year at Oak Park Elementary for three consecutive years.

“I returned to OKWU to try to make a difference in my profession….I want to pass on my experience and my love of teaching to as many teacher candidates as I can.  I want every elementary student to have the opportunity to have a teacher that knows what they’re doing and loves it!” said Gerth.

Though she spent a majority of her career at BPS, Gerth volunteered at a public elementary school while living in Perth, Australia, for six years.  During her time down under, she also worked for the International School of Perth as a teacher and curriculum coordinator.  Gerth has been married to her husband, Mitch, for 28 years.  They have three children.

The School of Education also welcomed Dr. Robert Bonner into his new position as Dean (he had previously held Gerth’s position) and a new secretary.  The new hires will help continue the rich tradition of excellence in OKWU’s School of Education that has found tremendous success in training and placing graduates in Oklahoma and the United States since 1974.

A recognized educational leader, the University has also received national recognition from U.S. News and World Report, Forbes.com, and CBS News Money Watch both for its excellent academic reputation as well as its missional integrity.  But perhaps most importantly, OKWU is known for its bold and clear mission which emphasizes the Primacy of Jesus Christ, the Priority of Scripture, the Pursuit of Truth and the Practice of Wisdom.  The University and School of Education are pleased to welcome Keri Bostwick and Stacy Gerth into that legacy.