Every organization needs the best leaders and those that want to be the best need to study leadership theory and practice. The Master of Strategic Leadership (MSSL), housed within the Chesapeake Energy School of Business, was developed to meet this need. This area of study is one of the fastest growing academic areas with many major universities offering similar degrees.
The program was designed to foster an academic environment focused on cutting-edge business leadership practices and principles that will help develop greater success in a student’s current and future leadership careers.
The program transcends the profit sector and provides an alternative to the MBA for individuals specifically interested in strengthening their leadership, managerial, and business acumen skills without the requirements of finance and quantitative analysis.
This program is ideal for any of the following types of individuals:
- Business Leaders & Managers
- Aspiring Leaders & Managers
- Athletic Coaches
- School Administrators
- Non-Profit Leaders
- IT Leadership
- Hospital Administrators
Program is 33 credit hours, and includes the following courses:
- Introduction to Graduate Studies
- Personal Individual Leadership
- Ethics and Leadership
- Advanced Leadership Theory I
- Advanced Leadership Theory II
- Applied Leadership
- Strategic Planning and Execution
- Organizational Behavior
- Leading Organizational Change
- American Foundations of Free Enterprise
- Human Resource Leadership
- Strategic Leadership Capstone
- Completion of 33 hours of required curriculum
- All courses must be completed through OKWU AGS
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
On location & online
In order to be unconditionally admitted into any graduate-level program, the applicant must submit the materials listed below:
1. An official transcript showing a conferred Bachelor’s degree from a regionally-accredited college or university in the United States or a foreign college or university which is approved by an international transcript evaluation organization recognized by Oklahoma Wesleyan University (see International Student Admissions Criteria).
2. Any other official transcripts needed to verify undergraduate prerequisite courses or graduate transfer credit. Students may transfer up to 6 semester hours of graduate coursework toward a graduate degree, provided that the courses are approved by the Dean of the School.
3. An undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (probationary admission may be granted for GPA’s as low as 2.50).
Once a student has been admitted to graduate study, he/she must begin taking courses within two (2) calendar years.
Students possessing a baccalaureate degree may be granted probationary admission with prescribed deficiencies when undergraduate GPA falls between 2.50 and 2.99 on a 4.0 scale, assuming all other admission criteria is met. Students on probationary status will not be allowed to proceed beyond nine (9) credit hours of work within the degree program unless the student achieves a cumulative GPA of 3.0 in the program.
- Students whose first language is not English (unless a US citizen) must have a TOEFL score of 69 or higher
- Students must either own or have access to a computer with internet capabilities
- Students must complete each core course with a 2.0 grade or better
- Students whose core GPA falls below 2.0 will be place on academic probation for the next term
- Students must comply with the program attendance policies to continue the program