Oklahoma Wesleyan’s School of Education is proud to boast on a whole host of alumni who have gone on to impact countless lives in the classroom. For this year’s Teachers’ Day, we wanted to say thank you to teachers everywhere, and give a special shout out to one of our own, Jermaine Watkins, Class of 2008.

Watkins is the Physical Education Teacher at Gilcrease Elementary School in Tulsa, was the 2015 Tulsa PE Teacher of the Year, and was recently featured in the Tulsa World for his work. Watkins not only teaches PE, but also created and volunteers for an after-school athletics program.

“I know I’m crazy,” Watkins shared with the Tulsa World about the extra hours he works without pay. “This is what my calling is. It was very clear to me at a young age — you’re going to be a coach, and you’re going to teach somewhere. And I’m just living that out now.”

Thanks, Jermaine, for all you do for your students and community! You represent your profession and your alma mater with excellence.

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on TumblrShare on Google+Email this to someone