School of Ministry and Christian Thought
B.A. in Religion from Kentucky Mountain Bible College; M.Div., Wesley Biblical Seminary; Ph.D. in Theology from the University of Manchester, UK
Mission & Passion
To the core of my being, I am a teacher. My ministry is to care about other persons enough to share with them the truth that can transform their lives. Sharing the truth takes various forms in my life: witnessing to a non-Christian; instructing students in class; preaching to a congregation; or simply listening to and praying with a hurting soul one-on-one or in a discipleship group. I want to model and pass on a faith that unites sound reasons for belief with heartfelt, practical godliness. Only such an integrated, holistic faith can avoid the twin dangers of both an idolatrous, “ivory tower” intellectualism and an unthinking pragmatism or emotionalism that falls prey to every cultural and religious fad.
“But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.” – 1 Peter 3:15-16 (NIV)
“The Christian is the one whose imagination should fly beyond the stars.” – Francis Schaeffer
- Literature of the Old Testament
- Philosophy of Christian Thought
- Acts of the Apostles
- Hebrews/General Epistles
Publications, Presentations, & Distinctives
- “Sinless Son in Sinful Flesh: Vicarious Total Depravity in T. F. Torrance’s Christology” at Nazarene Theological Seminary’s Ph.D. Student Forum.
- “On Falling Forward: The World, the Flesh, and the Spirit in Colin Gunton’s Christology” at the Wesleyan-Free Methodist Graduate Students’ Theological Seminar in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- “Heresy Amid the Heather: The 19th-century Kirk Debates Christ’s Human Nature” at the Third Annual Manchester Wesley Centre Postgraduate Colloquium in Wesley Studies and Theology, Nazarene Theological College, UK.
- “Fallen Hero? Barth, Torrance, and Us on Christ’s Win Over Sin in the Flesh” at a faculty forum at Kentucky Mountain Bible College.
- “Never Falling, Ever Fallen: The Flesh of God in the Dogma of Barth,” Nazarene Theological Seminary Ph.D. Student Forum.
- “Fallen Hero? Barth, Torrance, and Us on Christ’s Win Over Sin in the Flesh” at the annual Wesleyan Theological Society meeting in Anderson, Indiana.
- “Speaking of the Trinity: Metaphors for the Mystery” at a Vennard College faculty dialogue.
- “The Secret of History: Divine Election and Textbook Selection” at a panel on “The Historian as Guardian of Orthodoxy” for the Conference on Faith and History.
- “Old Testament Models for Leading the Wesleyan Way,” a chapter in Aaron Perry and Bryan Easley, eds., Leading the Wesleyan Way (Emeth Press, forthcoming)
- Book review of Adam, the Fall, and Original Sin in Trinity Journal (forthcoming)
- Book review of Exploring Christology & Atonement in Participatio (forthcoming)
- “John Walton’s Lost Worlds and God’s Loosed Word: Implications for Inerrancy, Canon, and Creation,” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 4 (Dec. 2015)
- Book review of Sanctification: Explorations in Theology and Practice in Wesleyan Theological Journal 2 (Fall 2015)
- “For Clarity and Charity: A Wesleyan Response to the Scripture Study Committee’s Report on Article IV (The Holy Scriptures),” Didache: Faithful Teaching 1 (Summer 2015)
- Book review of Practicing Christian Doctrine in Wesleyan Theological Journal 1 (Spring 2015)
- “Convergence in the ‘Reformed’ Theologies of T. F. Torrance and Jacobus Arminius: A Preliminary Survey,” a chapter in Keith D. Stanglin, Mark G. Bilby, and Mark H. Mann, eds., Reconsidering Arminius: Beyond the Reformed and Wesleyan Divide (Abingdon, 2014)
- “Edward Irving on Christ’s Sinful Flesh and Sanctifying Spirit: A Wesleyan Appraisal,” Wesleyan Theological Journal 1 (Spring 2014)
- nKurEdge e-newsletter published my article, “Speaking of the Trinity: Metaphors for the Mystery.”
- Self-published Wesley’s Explanatory Notes upon Romans in Contemporary English for use in my Romans course.
- Asbury Theological Seminary’s AsburyOnline electronically reprinted my article “Forgiveness: A Cross Examination.”
- Light & Life magazine published my article “Forgiveness: A Cross Examination.”
- Poem “Sometimes I Get Too Busy” published in Straight magazine.
- Performance by choir and orchestra at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, KY, of the cantata “Hail to the Lord’s Anointed,” a collaborative effort between myself and Dr. John Finney of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. Dr. Finney wrote and arranged the music, while I wrote the narration and lyrics. The cantata was published in December 2007 by Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.
- Interviewed by a local newspaper reporter about the biblical and historical claims made by The Da Vinci Code. Excerpts published in “Local religious leaders answer questions of ‘The Da Vinci Code’” by Jared McNeill in the May 19, 2006 edition of The Oskaloosa Herald.
- Interviewed by a local newspaper reporter about the intelligent design debate. Excerpts published in “Theory causing quite a stir” by Jared McNeill in the August 26, 2005 edition of The Oskaloosa Herald.
- Received the Editor’s Choice Award (awarded to the top 3% of entries) for poem published in Best Poems of 1995 by the National Library of Poetry.
- Received the Editor’s Choice Award (awarded to the top 3% of entries) for poem “At the Crossroads” published in Dance on the Horizon by the National Library of Poetry. Poem was reprinted in the June 22, 1994 edition of The Evart Review (of Evart, Michigan).
- 2010 Teacher of the Year, Wesley College
- 2009 HEADWAE Outstanding Faculty Honoree
- Member, Wesleyan Theological Society
- Ordained minister in The Wesleyan Church
- Ordained Minister, The Wesleyan Church
- Member, Wesleyan Theological Society
- Member, Evangelical Theological Society
- Member, Thomas F. Torrance Theological Fellowship
- Board member and children’s ministries participant, Sooner Park Wesleyan Church
- Speaker, Lighthouse rescue mission
- Speaker, OKWU chapel
- Bible study leader, Multnomah Holiness Camp