School of Arts & Sciences
B.A., Point Loma Nazarene College; Ph.D., University of California-Riverside.
Mission & Passion
I am a firm believer in the value of a Christian Liberal Arts education. As such, I have been a member of the OKWU faculty since 1993, following four years of teaching in Illinois, and five in Iowa, where I was Chemistry Program Director and worked with international students at Westmar College.
I have four published articles in professional chemistry journals reporting my research in mechanistic organic chemistry. But closer to my heart, for over 20 years, I have been involved in children’s ministry through various churches of which I have been a member.
Inspiring Verse / Quotation
“Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” 2 Timothy 2:15, KJV
“Biology has the interesting questions, but Chemistry has the answers.” Dr. I. K. Howard
- Fundamentals of General and Organic Chemistry
- General Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- “The Unlikelihood of an Electron Transfer (Haber-Weiss) Reaction Between Superoxide and Peroxides” (with M. J. Gibian), J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1979, 101, 1291-3.
- “Reactivity of Superoxide Ion with Carbonyl Compounds in Aprotic Solvents” (with M. J. Gibian, et al.), J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1979, 101, 640-4.
- “Reaction of tert-Butyl Hydroperoxide Anion with Dimethyl Sulfoxide. On the Pathway of the Superoxide-Alkyl Halide Reaction” (with M. J. Gibian), J. Org. Chem. 1976, 41, 2500-2.
- “Studies on the Ionic Addition of Chlorine to Conjugated Dienes” (with V. L. Heasley, et al.), J. Org. Chem. 1976, 41, 334-8