Say No to Obamacare and Yes to Religious Freedom

I am supporting House Joint Resolution 1020, which states, “that certain entities and persons cannot be forced to provide coverage for certain services if against their beliefs…” I support this because government is supposed to protect and expand our freedoms— not attack and diminish them, and defend and uphold our constitution—not ignore and debase it.

The contraceptive mandate found in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is an infringement on our freedoms. It should be a woman’s right to buy or not buy a product instead of her employer making the decision for her. I support this resolution because a girl or boy’s life is more important than an adult’s choice, and because sexual behavior has always been a moral discussion and moral discussions always stem from religious doctrine and religious dictates. 

My religion cannot be compartmentalized and it can’t be segregated into false dichotomies. Whether you are Mormon, Muslim, Mennonite or Methodist you surely must agree that your religion informs your morality, your morality informs your behavior, and your behavior informs every aspect of who you are— including your sexuality.

I respect the right of a free people to live by the content of their character and the complements of their convictions, to behave as they claim to believe, to practice their religion, and to work out their faith with fear and trembling— in private and in public. 

I’m tired of my faith, my values, my virtues, and my religion being lampooned and subjugated to mandates and restrictions that are contrary to the first amendment in Bill of Rights, which states, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…” 

These rights should not and must not be compromised by a government that has no right to tell anyone what their religion can or cannot be and what products they must or must not buy. 

I support this amendment because I believe in the pursuit of happiness and the freedom to practice what I preach and the right to carry my faith boldly into the public sphere.  I reject any edict that ignores such self-evident truths and unalienable rights and I do not support any presumptuous action of our government that would limit those freedoms. 

Dr. Everett Piper has served as the president of Oklahoma Wesleyan University since August of 2002. His credentials include a B.A. from Spring Arbor University, a M.A. from Bowling Green State University and a Ph.D. from Michigan State University. He is an Adjunct Scholar for the Oklahoma Council for Public Affairs, and a current member of the Council for National Policy. He has written routinely for numerous publications including the Examiner Enterprise, Crosswalk.com, Bullypulpit.com, Politicalmavens.com, Tulsa’s Community Spirit, and Chuck Colson’s Breakpoint magazine. Dr. Piper has a daily radio broadcast, titled Ideas Matter and he is the author of two books: The Wrong Side of the Door: Why Ideas Matter and Why I Am a ‘Liberal’ and Other Conservative Ideas.