Threats to the Future of Capitalism: An Undergraduate Perspective

A lot can happen in two decades.  As a college student, the next two decades will be particularly important for me. I am looking forward to graduation, graduate school, finding a job, and starting a family.

What I and many of my peers seldom think about when it comes to our futures, however, is what the state of our economy will be when we begin establishing ourselves and the rest of our lives.  Truly, our economy and capitalistic enterprise will be a defining factor in how we study, work, and live within the next twenty years.

The Wall Street Journal surveyed various industry experts last November on current economic issues.  Notably, they took considerable effort to pose and answer the question, “What will be the biggest challenge to capitalism in the next two decades—and what should be done about it?”

Experts from various industries outlined several threats concerning capitalism from foreign ownership to growing internal imbalances.  They also proposed solutions to address these threats. What I found most resonating was an appeal to remarry morals and the market.  Indeed, nothing matters so much in preserving capitalism as preserving the ethics behind it.

What I found most resonating was an appeal to remarry morals and the market.  Indeed, nothing matters so much in preserving capitalism as preserving the ethics behind it.

Things like expanded government definitely won’t save us, but neither will capitalism and free enterprise—in the long run—without the ethics behind it.  Are we only touting our Judeo-Christian ideals or truly believing and living them?  Are we motivated by prestige and success or compassion and justice?

Even in our youth, this debate is absolutely critical to understanding and pursuing our future.  If anything, Capitalism is a promise.  It’s neither complete security nor a fool-proof guarantee, but it is assurance that my generation will have a chance to earn and spend responsibly and live fully, whatever the experts may suggest.

Anlan Cheney

Anlan Cheney is from Nebraska. She is a junior at Oklahoma Wesleyan University studying Communication Arts.

×