Celebrities Who (Surprisingly) Support Freedom

Typically the culture of Hollywood leans more toward the left and supports bigger government involvement, but surprisingly two well known stars are starting to break from the pack and have come out in support of freedom.

Could this be a sign of changing times? We might not be seeing a change toward a more conservative view point, but perhaps we are seeing the rise of a libertarian stance. 
Rob Lowe
photo via: Associated Press

Rob Lowe, an American film and television actor, perhaps best known for his roles in West Wing and Parks and Recreation, would typically not be considered a moral role model, or a poster boy for conservative ideas. He might be, however, taking up the banner of the libertarian cause.

In a recent interview with the New York Times, when asked what his political beliefs are, he responded that, “…my days of just ticking the party box are long over. I judge candidates for who they are. My thing is personal freedoms, freedoms for the individual to love who they want, do with what they want. In fact, I want the government out of almost everything.” 

“…somebody asked me today [about] Kennedy’s ‘Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.’ And I say it’s so interesting, because today, I think that our discussion is the inverse. People are asking, ‘What can our country do for us?’”

This is not the first time Lowe has expressed sympathy with conservative viewpoints. During an interview with NBC’s David Gregory, Lowe said, “…somebody asked me today [about] Kennedy’s ‘Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.’ And I say it’s so interesting, because today, I think that our discussion is the inverse. People are asking, ‘What can our country do for us?’ And just my own worldview is that the individual needs to be more responsible for their own lives and that’s not the conversation we’re having right now, for whatever reason.”

It definitely appears that he has abandoned Hollywood’s party line and is now advocating for self-responsibility and limited government. Is this a reaction to the government’s continuous expansion? Will this become a trend for Hollywood’s culture or is this an isolated event?

“We who are fortunate enough to live in freedom must stand up to oppression and injustice…”

Kevin Spacey
photo via: Associated Press

It appears that he is not alone in his admiration for freedom. House of Cards actor Kevin Spacey, recently blogged in support of the Venezuelans who are protesting for the “basic human freedoms and the engaging in the right to protest, which is a sacred right whether in Boston, Belarus, or Venezuela.” He wrote that he supports “all of the Venezuelans who peacefully and non-violently claim their right to self-determination and protest. I hope you will join me in asking them not to give up and to not become numb to the violations and abuses committed to them. We who are fortunate enough to live in freedom must stand up to oppression and injustice and remind the Venezuelan people that they are on the right side of history.”

×