Director of Academic Advising and Career Placement
1 full-time opening, This is a twelve month Faculty position in Bartlesville.
The Director of Academic Advising and Career Placement reports to the Office of Academic Affairs and is responsible for developing, implementing, and adjusting a comprehensive advising system for all traditional/undergraduate students at Oklahoma Wesleyan University in order to improve academic success. This system should, through collection and analysis of data, implement and recommend interventions in order to promote student academic success, retention, and graduation rates. The Director provides guidance to all academic advisors. Additionally, the Director assesses and maintains efficient and effective operational procedures. Academic advisement is focused upon first and second year students.
Additionally, under general supervision, direct the operation, policy-making, and development of career services for students and alumni. Collaborate with university deans to strengthen employer relations. Demonstrate effective leadership and provide directions for the organization, administration, and continuous improvement of career development. Work with students to prepare for the job market including but not limited to resume development, interview skills development, and Linkedin training. The director will provide access to MCAT, GRE training materials and will consult with students regarding acceptance into graduate programs. Career development focuses upon third and fourth year students
Supervision Given or Received:
Work is primarily performed under the direction of the Provost and Assistant Provost.
Educational Requirements and Qualifications:
- Master’s degree is required.
- Experience in higher education, specifically in academic advising and/or career services is preferred.
- Expertise in desktop office suite (e.g. Microsoft Office)
- Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with students, faculty and staff
- A personal and vital Christian faith is required. A connection to the Wesleyan Church or one of the many denominations comprising the historic Wesleyan-Armenian tradition is preferred.
Examples of work performed:
NOTE: Examples are illustrations only. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the job description.
- The Director will create an intentional, transformational academic advising and career development services in accordance with industry best practices that result in positive trends in student retention and completion rates
- The Director will plan, develop, and implement departmental goals, action objectives, and strategies to meet annual and long-term goals and objectives that align with the OKWU’s mission and objectives.
- The Director will collect systematic data from stakeholders and evaluate the efficacy of the advising program and will utilize a collaborative approach to analyze the data, including the Provost, Assistant Provost, Dean of Assessment and Accreditation, and the Vice President for Student Development.
- The Director will collaborate with other faculty and staff to ensure an appropriate, effective onboarding and ongoing training processes regarding academic advising.
- The Director represents academic advising issues on committees as assigned or required.
- The Director will administer Career Services functions including networking, career choice, resume assistance, job referrals, employer visits, interviewing skills development, presentations, and other community services. Oversee campus activities directly related to career services aimed at sending students from OKWU as transformed, called employees.
- Develop and implement training for faculty and staff regarding career service tools.
- The Director will research and/or develop career testing in order to help students find their calling.
- The Director will respond to inquiries from students, university employees, and customers while maintaining standards of confidentiality and privacy, in a timely manner. Maintain confidentiality in accordance with the University, HIPAA, FERPA, student records, and any other protected documentation.
- Other duties as assigned
To apply for this position please complete our application by clicking below:
Complete the Online Application
If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources at 918-335-6273 or email@example.com
As an evangelical Christian university of The Wesleyan Church, Oklahoma Wesleyan University models a way of thought, a way of life, and a way of faith. It is a place of serious study, honest questions, and critical engagement, all in the context of a liberal arts community that honors the primacy of Jesus Christ, the priority of Scripture, the pursuit of Truth, and the practice of Wisdom. Nationally recognized by U.S. News and World Report and Forbes, the University offers a thriving academic community. It is located in Bartlesville, Oklahoma, a city of approximately 30,000 residents known for its strong schools and its appreciation for the arts. Bartlesville is the home of the annual OKMozart Festival and of Frank Lloyd Wright’s Price Tower. It is located in the beautiful Green Country region of northeast Oklahoma, forty-five miles north of Tulsa.