Provost/Vice President of Academic Affairs
Oklahoma Wesleyan University (OKWU) seeks the ideal candidate for the position of Provost/Vice President of Academic Affairs (VPAA), located at our main campus in Bartlesville, Oklahoma.
Without exception, the successful VPAA candidate must be fully aligned with the mission and ethos of Oklahoma Wesleyan University. In a world of relativism and compromise, OKWU stands firmly for Biblical truth. An unwavering commitment to the Primary of Jesus Christ, the Priority of Scripture, the Pursuit of Truth, and the Practice of Wisdom is essential.
While OKWU employs top-notch enrollment recruiters, the VPAA and the academic team are responsible for the “product on the shelf” – high quality academic programs that attract and retain students. The VPAA must possess a proven track record of growth and must demonstrate the ability to identify and develop sought-after academic programs, enhance current programs to better meet market demands, rally faculty to champion programs, forecast changes in educational trends, and know when and how to stop doing what doesn’t work.
As a member of the senior leadership team of OKWU, the successful candidate must possess the ability to:
- effectively lead others, creating a spirit of collaboration and engagement with a continuous focus on the goals and needs of the institution
- keenly balance risk and reward – to know when to seize an opportunity and dive into something new, and when to walk away
- methodically participate in and ensure the successful execution of initiatives, without micro-managing
- efficiently utilize the talents of others, allowing team members to further advance their own skills and contribute more fully to the institution’s success
- represent the standards and mission of OKWU in every facet of life
- espouse a commitment to higher education, including personal achievement of a terminal degree and career experience in post-secondary education
To the successful candidate, OKWU offers the chance to work in a nimble, collaborative environment with people who genuinely care about each other. A high degree of independence and self-direction is available to the person who can effectively achieve the results that are needed.
Situated in beautiful northeast Oklahoma (aka “Green Country”) and home to two Fortune 500 firms, the community of Bartlesville provides amenities including arts, great schools, a low cost of living, and an educated population, plus the city of Tulsa just 45 minutes away.
This position is responsible for the oversight of the five academic schools of OKWU, working closely with school deans to ensure the daily operation of all academic functions.
This position requires the ability to maintain confidentiality, to work independently, prioritize, organize, and complete tasks with independent judgment and limited oversight. Computer skills, attention to detail, and knowledge of HLC accreditation standards, leadership of faculty, and diplomacy with peers are essential.
Qualifications and Criteria for Appointment:
Evidence of commitment to the integration of Christian faith and living with the theory and practice of education is expected. A personal and vital Christian faith is required; a connection to The Wesleyan Church or one of the many denominations comprising the historic Wesleyan-Arminian tradition is preferred.
A terminal degree is required.
Supervision Given or Received:
Work is performed under the general supervision of the President. Supervision is given to the dean of the five academic schools, the Executive Assistant, Dean of Assessment and Accreditation, Registrar and Library staff.
Examples of Work Preformed:
NOTE: Examples are illustrations only. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the job description if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Develop, evaluate, approve, and oversee implementation of all new academic programs.
- Work with senior leadership and the Board of Trustees to design strategy, monitor progress, identify and change tactics, and engage appropriate faculty and staff in the accomplishment of University goals and objectives.
- Lead deans in their efforts to formulate and accomplish annual goals for each School.
- Conduct on-going planning, development, implementation, and evaluation of all educational programs at OKWU.
- Assure compliance with all HLC accreditation requirements.
- Oversee the development of and compliance to all academic budgets.
- Identify academic trends in education, recognize the impact on OKWU, and proactively address the need for changes to OKWU programs, policies, resources, and expectations.
- Chair the University Academic Affairs Committee.
- Actively encourage the personal and professional development of all faculty.
- Engage in fundraising activities to support the university.
- Perform other assigned duties as directed by the President.
To apply for this position please complete our application by clicking below:
If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources 918-335-6212 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
As an evangelical Christian university of The Wesleyan Church, Oklahoma Wesleyan University models a way of thought, a way of life, and a way of faith. It is a place of serious study, honest questions, and critical engagement, all in the context of a liberal arts community that honors the primacy of Jesus Christ, the priority of Scripture, the pursuit of Truth, and the practice of Wisdom. Nationally recognized by U.S. News and World Report and Forbes, the University offers a thriving academic community. With its main campus located in Bartlesville, Oklahoma, OKWU is part of a city of approximately 30,000 residents known for its strong schools and its appreciation for the arts. Bartlesville is the home of the annual OKMozart Festival and of Frank Lloyd Wright’s Price Tower. It is located in the beautiful Green Country region of northeast Oklahoma, forty-five miles north of Tulsa. Our Tulsa campus, located just east of Hwy. 169 between 41st and 51st Street, set in a professional office complex with top-notch classroom and student-support space, provides easy access to AGS students.