University Provost and Professor of Ministry and Christian Thought
Academic Affairs, School of Ministry and Christian Thought, Church Relations
Th.B., Circleville Bible College; M.Div., Wesley Biblical Seminary; D.Min., Reformed Theological Seminary; Ph.D. The University of Wales
Mission and Passion
The thrill of serving in the School of Religion and Philosophy is seeing my contribution to the Kingdom of God multiplied a thousand times. As the young men and women go out into all areas of ministries I am blessed to know I have not only helped prepare them, but have had an impact on their lives and in some small way can feel a part of all they accomplish for Christ and His Kingdom. I feel my role specifically is to help our students become grounded theologically and to fall in love with biblical preaching. I can think of no other way that I could benefit the Wesleyan Church, and more generally the Church as whole, than to labor in these areas.
“Unite the pair so long disjoined
Knowledge and vital piety
Learning and holiness combined
And truth and love
Let all men see.” – Charles Wesley
This quote reflects the necessity of being transformed by the “renewing of our mind” (Romans 12:2), as well as the biblical requirement of being “holy as I, the Lord your God, am holy” (Leviticus 19:2).
- Homiletics I
- Systematic I-II
- Wisdom Literature
- Christian Spiritual Formation
- The Gospels, Historical Geography
- The Life and Theology of John Wesley
- New Testament Literature
- Bible Seminar
Publications, Presentations & Practical Ministry
- Weeter, M. John Wesley’s Bible Interpretation Principles. J. Coleson (Ed.) Treasure the Word (pp. 37-48). Indianapolis: Wesleyan Publishing House.
- Weeter, M. Reason, Tradition, and Experience in Bible Interpretation. J. Coleson (Ed.) Treasure the Word (pp. 49-62). Indianapolis: Wesleyan Publishing House.
- Weeter, M. “What Would Jesus Do? Are We Asking the Right Question?”, The Wesleyan Advocate.
- Weeter, M. ““The Holiness Movement’s Identity Crisis”, The Holiness Digest.
- Weeter, M. John Wesley’s View and Use of Scripture. Wipf and Stock Publishers, 2006
- “John Wesley vs John Calvin-Is There a Wesleyan Hermeneutic?”- June, 2009- Wesleyan Hermeneutic Symposium-Indianapolis Nov., 2009- Evangelical Theological Society-New Orleans
- 2005: The Influence of the Patristic Writers on John Wesley’s View of Scripture, Evangelical Theological Society.
- 2000: John Wesley’s Principles of Biblical Interpretation, Evangelical Theological Society.
- 1997: John Wesley’s Principles of Biblical Interpretation, The Wesleyan Theological Society.
ACTIVE PRACTICAL MINISTRIES
I’ve always felt the desire to stay engaged in active ministry while serving in my professorial role. To that end I have pastored full or part-time every year since my graduation from college in 1977. I have traveled speaking for the university. I am currently the pastor at Fellowship Community Church in Bartlesville. God has opened doors that have enabled me to preach and teach in 36 states, Canada, India, Mexico, and Russia.