Function of Job
The Athletic Trainer is responsible for the supervision and coordination of Oklahoma Wesleyan University’s overall sports medicine program; to include injury prevention, evaluation, management and treatment of athletic injuries, education and counseling of student-athletes. The Athletic Trainer is responsible for athletic related health care administration in consultation with and under the supervision of the Team Physician(s) and other qualified medical personnel. The Athletic Trainer is required to abide by the rules and regulations established by Oklahoma Wesleyan University and its conference affiliation, and NAIA. This is a full time position.
Examples of work performed
Note] Examples are illustrations only. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Provide athletic training services for the athletic department including attendance at scheduled team practices, home and away competitions.
- Determine (with Team Physician consultation) student athlete’s ability to practice and/or compete.
- Report status of injured student-athletes to coaching staff.
- Responsible for compilation, input, organization, and maintenance of medical records for student-athletes.
- Responsible for inventory, bidding, ordering, receiving, and maintenance of all athletic training room supplies and equipment.
- Enforce code of conduct and rules for athletic training facilities and therapy clinic as well as equipment.
- Follow emergency action plan for athletic teams in conjunction with Team Physicians, area emergency medical services, and local hospitals.
- Work with coaches regarding strength, conditioning, and flexibility of student-athletes, nutritional issues, supplements/ergogenic aids, injury prevention, exercise techniques, and rehab of injured student athletes.
- Responsible for scheduling and administration of student athlete’s physical examinations.
- Responsible for athletic training room/therapy clinic maintenance and upkeep.
- Maintain department’s certification and license requirements of NATABOC and the State of Oklahoma.
- The Athletic Trainer works under the supervision of the Athletic Director.
- The Athletic Trainer will supervise the Assistant Athletic Trainer(s) and Student Athletic/University Work Study Students.
- Master’s degree in appropriate area of specialization with professional experience in collegiate athletics.
- Certified by the National Athletic Trainers’ Association Board of Certification (NATABOC)
- Oklahoma State Athletic Training Licensure or able to obtain
- Familiarity with NCAA, NAIA governing rules