The Financial Aid Specialist’s duties include counseling and advising students and parents on the various financial aid programs, assisting with the administration of one or more federal, state, or institutional financial aid programs, evaluating Financial Aid applications in order to determine student eligibility for various financial aid programs, and collecting data and keeping accurate records. This position is also responsible for counseling students on matters of financial need and providing necessary information regarding student financial assistance programs.
- A personal and vital Christian faith
- A bachelors degree or equivalent experience
- The ability to work independently and on a team
- Excellent organizational skills
SUPERVISION GIVEN / RECEIVED
Work is performed under the general supervision of the Director of Financial Aid..
Examples of work performed
- [Note] Examples are illustrations only. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Ensures optimal use of financial aid funds by packaging funds from the various programs to students in accordance with established federal, state, and institutional guidelines.
- Promotes a positive image of the Office of Financial Aid by making group presentations which explain both the various financial aid programs and associated application processes.
- Ensures student and parent awareness of the various financial aid sources during counseling sessions by providing information to them and answering their questions regarding financial aid sources.
- Assists students in the application process for financial aid by helping them to complete appropriate and required forms; by advising them of their rights and responsibilities concerning financial aid; and by providing them with information about the status of their financial aid applications.
- Determines students’ eligibility for the various financial aid programs by evaluating their applications and documenting the decision as appropriate.
- Maintains competency and professional currency through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Director of Financial Aid
- Contributes to broad based management of the Office of Financial Aid by providing input to policy and procedure decisions.
- Assist in maintaining an up-to-date Financial Aid operations manual.