Function of Job
OKWU’s Admissions Counselor drives the recruitment process within an assigned territory for all incoming students to the Graduate and Professional Studies program. The person in this role proactively engages key constituents and partners (e.g., community colleges, technical schools, corporate contacts, churches, etc.) to identify and develop opportunities to connect with prospective students.
Serving as a university liaison and advocate for the prospective student being recruited, the Admissions Counselor works to:
- Recruit students to the university from a defined territory
- Assist in identifying the academic program most aligned with the student’s goals and objectives
- Gather all required documentation for successful enrollment
- Communicate all details and dates for a successful admissions process
- Work with Student Development offices, Student Service offices, academic offices, and other areas to assist the student in moving to campus and starting classes
To achieve these goals, the Admissions Counselor designs marketing and networking efforts, manages the budget associated with proposed activities, and carries responsibility for meeting enrollment targets.
Work is performed under the direct supervision of the Executive Director of Admissions.
Examples of work performed
[Note] Examples are illustrations only. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Identify new and existing markets to recruit new, first-time, and returning students to the university
- Responsible for traveling to call on prospective leads; both individuals and organizations (e.g., churches, college fairs, schools, corporations)
- Responsible for presenting accurate and engaging information to prospective students via phone, Zoom, or in-person meetings while traveling, and other activities related to recruiting
- Responsible for a high level of customer service engagement; assisting prospective students through the admissions process via telephone, email, text, and face-to-face communication
- Responsible for managing the prospective student’s admissions file, from inquiry to matriculation
- Responsible for developing corporate support and activity for program growth
- Oversee student worker’s work assignments, when applicable
- Performs other duties as assigned