Department: Buildings and Grounds
Supervisor’s Title: Head Groundskeeper
Education Requirement: None
Date Prepared and Reviewed: July 20, 2023
Function of Job
This person is responsible for the general maintenance of campus grounds and athletic fields. This position requires the ability to lift 60 pounds with regularity.
Work is performed under the general supervision of the Head Groundskeeper.
Examples of work performed
[Note] Examples are illustrations only. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Operate lawn equipment, including a zero turn mower or push lawn mower, weed eaters, edgers, trimmers, and other electrical or gas powered equipment.
- Weed-eat and edge sidewalks and drives.
- Gather and empty trash, leaves, and yard debris.
- Service, clean, and maintain grounds equipment.
- Learn the difference between plants, bushes, flowers, and weeds.
- Plant, water and maintain flowers, flower beds, trees and bushes.
- Weed; add soil and mulch beds and landscaped areas.
- Trim and prune bushes and trees.
- Drive utility vehicles required to perform or travel to work, including golf carts, vans or trucks as assigned.
- Drive vehicles on roads and sidewalks; keeping off the grass and landscaped areas as assigned.
- Follow proper procedures for the use of chemicals, hand tools, and power equipment.
- Should be able to move heavy furniture, equipment, and supplies, either manually or by using hand trucks.
- Notify managers concerning the need for repairs to buildings or equipment.
- Assist with the removal of snow and ice from sidewalks, driveways and parking areas, using snowplows, snow shovels, and spread snow melting chemicals.
- Assist with set up, arrange, and remove tables, chairs, and other equipment for special events such as banquets and meetings.
- Use caution while performing duties to ensure the safety of university property and personnel.
- Be willing to assist other staff members during emergency and/or special occasion situations.
Assist with other duties as assigned.