Student Accounts Specialist
Oklahoma Wesleyan University
Department: Student Services
Supervisor’s Title: Bursar
Education Requirement: Bachelor’s or equivalent experience
Date Prepared and Reviewed: 7/30/21
Software Access: PowerCampus (Billing, Cash Receipts), Laserfiche (Student Accounts)
Function of Job
Under the direct supervision of the Bursar, the Student Accounts Specialist is responsible for the efficient and effective organization of all functions related to billing, collection, disbursement and record maintenance related to a student’s account. This includes activities such as counseling students on account charges and payment options, collecting current and past due accounts, creating monthly statements for students, administering payment plans, updating account information, disbursing aid and assisting with the collection companies.
This position requires a friendly, pleasant personality, diplomacy and tact, confidentiality, and the ability to work independently while prioritizing tasks. Attention to detail, organization, and the capacity to complete tasks with limited oversight and independent judgment are important.
Work is performed under the general supervision of the Bursar.
Examples of work performed
[Note] Examples are illustrations only. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Counsels students on account balances, payments and setting up payment plans in person, by email and over the phone
- Prepares reports, statements, billings and other ad-hoc invoices related to students’ accounts
- Monitor and pursue late payments, escalating as needed
- Maintain report of current student accounts with balances according to the communication plan
- Process bi-monthly student pay and apply to the appropriate account
- Assist with student meal plan changes and reconciliation with food services provider
- Assists with processing refunds weekly for students.
- Assists with assessing, disbursing aid and uploading anticipated aid onto accounts
- Assist Bursar with delinquent account notices, reporting and assigning to collection agencies
- Checks for required forms and source documents.
- Enters data into the computer system.
- Maintains manual and computer filing systems.
- Creates Cost Calendars for GPS Enrollment Services.
- Will occasionally work some evenings and Saturdays during Preview days for new traditional students. These dates will be arranged in advance.
- Performs related work as assigned by the Supervisor.