Department: Student Services
Supervisor’s Title: Bursar
Education Requirement: Bachelor’s or equivalent experience
Date Prepared and Reviewed: 7/25/23
Function of Job
The person in this position is responsible for work in accounts receivables involving activities such as student financial advising, collecting current and past due accounts, preparing periodic reports and statements of accounts, administering payment plans, answering student questions, updating account information, disbursing aid and assisting with the collection companies. This position requires a friendly, pleasant personality, diplomacy and tact, the ability to maintain confidentiality, to work independently, prioritize, organize, and the capacity to complete tasks with limited oversight and independent judgment.
Computer skills, attention to detail, and a knowledge of accounting is important. A working knowledge of Financial Aid and how these funds apply to students’ accounts is necessary.
Work is performed under the general supervision of the Bursar.
Examples of work performed
[Note] Examples are illustrations only. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Counsels students on balances and payments and setting up payment plans.
- Monitors delinquent accounts and takes appropriate steps to collect payment; maintains records of attempts to collect under direction of supervisor.
- Works with collection agencies directly to submit delinquent accounts, communicate changes to student’s accounts, and pull activity reports.
- Checks for required forms and source documents.
- Prepares routine reports, statements and billings and distributes them accordingly.
- Enters and coordinates the entry of data into the computer system and adds/removes holds as necessary.
- Disburses aid and reviews student’s accounts for accuracy.
- Processes refunds weekly for students.
- Maintains manual and computer filing systems.
- Receives and services telephone, chat, and personal inquiries pertaining to account balances, activity on accounts, payment plan, and holds on accounts.
- Monitors student financial aid status and communicates the same to students.
- Creates Cost Calendars for Enrollment Services and provides balance estimates for students.
- Will occasionally work some evenings and Saturdays during Preview days for new traditional students. These dates will be arranged in advance.
- Performs related work as assigned by the Supervisor.