To be considered for selection as a Resident Assistant, each candidate must possess and complete the following:
- Full-time student status at OKWU
- 2.5 or higher GPA in all major coursework
- Minimum one semester of living in OKWU residence halls
- Clean disciplinary record
- Track record of campus involvement at OKWU
- Resident Assistant Application
- Interview with Residential Life Staff
A Resident Assistant is a staff member in the Office of Residential Life. As such, the Resident Assistant shares the responsibilities of representing the Office by practicing and promoting its philosophies and ideals to all residence hall students and the greater campus community. The Resident Assistant is under the direct precept of the Resident Director in the residence hall to which they are assigned. Resident Assistants are selected on the basis of residence hall fit, leadership abilities and demonstrated willingness to assume the necessary duties for creating and promoting safe, stable, and educational living environments.
The establishment of a healthy community is the cornerstone of Resident Assistant duties. Pursuant to the creation of these communities, the primary responsibilities of the Resident Assistant include:
- Coordination, facilitation and participation in all New Student Orientation activities. This includes but is not limited to: a) getting students to Eagle Week activities, b) participating in Eagle Week activities, c) facilitating Eagle Week activities, and d) working with Student Mentors.
- Being available/accessible to residents during day, weeknight and weekend periods to assist in the development and maintenance of the floor community.
- Knowing all individuals within a floor community to assist in their personal social development.
- Being an information source to residents by providing accurate information of campus activities and having knowledge of campus resources.
- Serving as a role model for the residents in the floor community.
- Actively promoting an environment in which residents can best meet their academic responsibilities while fully participating in the cultural, educational and social life of the University.
- Enforcing university community standards.
- Implementing planned educational and social programs addressing the needs of the residents and community.
- Aiding in the dissemination of information between students and administration in an accurate and unbiased manner.
- Assuming weekly RA Duty nights from 10:00pm – 12:00am.
- Carrying out other duties as assigned.
Application Essay Questions
The application will prompt you to answer the following essay and programming questions. Please have your answers prepared in advance as the form will not allow you to save and return to it later.
- Describe three specific roles in which you believe the RA serves the university.
- Explain the personal qualities, abilities, or strengths you would bring to the Residential Life staff.
Design an original program or event that you would implement for your residents if you are hired as a Resident Assistant (i.e. floor activity, Bible study, competition, community building event).
- Explain why you chose this program or event and how it would benefit your residents.
- Create an overall plan for the event (how do you get the word out, what supplies do you need, etc)
- Create an advertisement or poster for the event. (you will be able to upload this as a document within the application).