The major in Chemistry at OKWU is designed to meet the needs of the student who is seeking employment upon graduation as a chemist in government or industry. The major also provides the level of preparation needed for a student who wishes to pursue graduate studies in chemistry or related fields, including medical research, pharmacology, and materials science. Because of the related mathematics background, students majoring in chemistry often take a minor in mathematics.
Special Topic Courses:
- Undergraduate Research
- Chemistry Internship
- Junior and Senior Chemistry Seminars
Career Options with a degree in Chemistry
- Industrial Chemistry
- Research Chemistry
- Forensic Science
Research Opportunities – Caney Water Quality Project
Students study the water quality of the local Caney River while connecting with the Bartlesville community.
Typical Activities for Math/Science Majors:
- “Lunch and Learning” series
- Attend local professional meetings
- Science shows for elementary schools
- Judge local science fairs
Chemistry Major Objectives
Upon completion of the Chemistry Program, students should be able to
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of the foundational principles of inorganic, organic, analytical, and physical chemistry as presented in standard undergraduate textbooks.
- Demonstrate a general understanding of the principles of physics that are most relevant to chemistry.
- Demonstrate a general understanding of the principles of mathematics that are most relevant to chemistry.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the scientific method and basic laboratory skills including use of analytical instrumentation.
- Demonstrate a general understanding of the principles of scientific research and communication.
- Explain the differences of approaching chemistry from a Christian worldview versus a secular worldview.