The major in mathematics at OKWU is designed to meet the needs of the student who is seeking employment as a mathematician in government, industry, or education. The major also provides the level of preparation needed to a student who wishes to pursue graduate studies in mathematics or related fields, such as: statistics, engineering, or forensics. Students adopting this major often take one or more minors from other areas such as the sciences or business.
Special Topics Courses:
- Undergraduate research
- Mathematics internship
- Junior & Senior mathematics seminar
Career Options with a degree in Mathematics:
- Actuarial Science
- Data Scientist
- Forensic Analyst
Mathematics Major Objectives
Upon completion of the Mathematics Program, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the main branches of mathematics and the ability to solve mathematical problems in the main branches of mathematics.
- Demonstrate the ability to construct rigorous, logical proofs through various methods.
- Demonstrate the ability to solve mathematical applications which arise in mathematics and many other contexts, including business, the natural sciences, and everyday life.
- Demonstrate skill in the research and communication of mathematics, including the oral presentation of research.
- Demonstrate the ability to discuss some of the important intersections of mathematics and religious ideas.
Typical Activities for Math/Science Majors:
- “Lunch & Learning” series
- Attend/present at OK-AR MAA professional meeting
- Judge local science fairs