The Presidential Leadership Scholarship (PLS) offered at Oklahoma Wesleyan University’s residential campus is an opportunity to highlight the best of the best in our incoming students. The recently revised scholarship is built to attract prospective students who possess strong academic and leadership skills as well as a passion for both campus and community involvement. This is an opportunity for you, the student, to become intimately involved in the leadership community at OKWU, to help mentor other students, and to get involved on campus and in the city!
Scholarship Award Details
PLS is worth $10,000 annually and is awarded based on a committee selection process which includes the initial application, references, and an interview.
The PLS is renewable by maintaining a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA, participating in specified leadership opportunities while at OKWU, and remaining good standing with the Office of Student Development.
Once awarded, PLS students are obligated to undergo leadership training and fulfill a minimum number of leadership and community service hours each semester.
3.5 minimum high school or college cumulative GPA
3 reference letters – (one must be from your pastor, all must be non-OKWU references)
A 2-3 page essay discussing community service experience, high school and youth group involvement, and plan for involvement as an OKWU Eagle specifically answering the below questions. Please be sure to include your name on the essay.
- What is your personal testimony?
- Why would you like to attend Oklahoma Wesleyan University?
- How would you define leadership?
- How would you describe a Christian’s responsibility to lead?
- In what ways have you been involved in leadership?
The completed PLS Application will open on Nov 27 and must be submitted by February 2nd, 2020.
A complete PLS application packet includes:
- PLS Application
- 2-3 Page Essay (name included on essay)
- A minimum of 3 Reference Letters
- Most recent official transcript
- 2020-21 FAFSA
Approved applicants will receive an invitation to come to campus and interview at a later date.
* Eligible students must be a first-time freshman or a transfer for the 2020-21 academic year.