The Presidential Leadership Scholarship (PLS) offered at Oklahoma Wesleyan University’s residential campus is an opportunity to highlight the best of the best in our incoming students. The recently revised scholarship is built to attract prospective students who possess strong academic and leadership skills as well as a passion for both campus and community involvement. This is an opportunity for you, the student, to become intimately involved in the leadership community at OKWU, to help mentor other students, and to get involved on campus and in the city!
PLS is worth $10,000 annually and is awarded based on a committee selection process which includes the initial application, references, and an interview.
The PLS is renewable by maintaining a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA, participating in specified leadership opportunities while at OKWU, and remaining good standing with the Office of Student Development.
Once awarded, PLS students are obligated to undergo leadership training and fulfill a minimum number of leadership and community service hours each semester.
3.5 minimum high school or college cumulative GPA
3 reference letters – (one must be from your pastor, all must be non-OKWU references)
A 2-3 page essay discussing community service experience, high school and youth group involvement, and plan for involvement as an OKWU Eagle specifically answering the below questions. Please be sure to include your name on the essay.
- What is your personal testimony?
- Why would you like to attend Oklahoma Wesleyan University?
- How would you define leadership?
- How would you describe a Christian’s responsibility to lead?
- In what ways have you been involved in leadership?
The deadline for students to have a completed PLS application packet submitted is November 1, 2020
A complete PLS application packet includes:
- PLS Application
- Minimum of 3 reference letters (see applicant requirements above for reference letter details)
- 2-3 Page Essay (name included on essay, see applicant requirements above for essay details)
- 2021-22 FAFSA submitted to OKWU
Approved applicants will receive an invitation to interview for the scholarship.
* Eligible students must be a first-time freshman for the 2021-22 academic year.
I'm ready to apply
I would like to nominate a student
Nomination & Eligibility
Eligible students must be first-time freshmen or transfer students and can be nominated by a pastor, youth pastor, school counselor, OKWU Board of Trustee member, OKWU faculty, or OKWU staff member. Once nominated, students must be accepted to OKWU before their application is reviewed.